Agitator Co-operative Gallery is now accepting applications for our Artist In Residence (AIR) program. The Agitator AIR enjoys studio space at the gallery, regular exposure of their work to the public, and a month long solo gallery show with programming at the end of the residency.
Agitator AIR is also open to applications from teams of 2 artists. Each artist must submit their own application.
Cost: $300 / month
Application form HERE.
• For inaugural 3 month summer residency – JUNE 15th
• For fall 4 month residency – SEPTEMBER 1st
• For winter 4 month residency – JANUARY 1st
Inaugural Three Month Summer Session
July / August / September, solo show in October
Fall Four Month Session
October / November / December / January, solo show in February
Winter Four Month Session
February / March / April / May, solo show in June
Studio Space is located in the back of the gallery. Tables are optional and can be removed. Sadly, power tools not included and will be removed for the inaugural AIR session.
Studio Dimensions: 10’ 3” W x 10’ 3” L; ceiling roughly 10’ high
The Inaugural Agitator Residency will last for three consecutive months. All subsequent residencies will be four consecutive months, offered three times a year.
• One month solo exhibition of work created during AIR
• Studio space in Chicago’s Wicker Park Neighborhood
• Access to kitchen and storage space in basement
• Open studio exposure to show work during gallery openings and events, exhibition wall in gallery to show works in progress
• Mentorship opportunities
• Regular promotion on social media (i.e.Facebook, Instagram)
• Regular critiques
• Opportunity of Agitator membership extension at completion of AIR
• Close to public transportation
Applicants must submit the following
• A digital portfolio or updated website of work completed in the last three years
• Resume or C.V.
• Artist statement
• Proposal for work and community programming to be completed during residency
• Contact information for two references
Applicants must meet the following criteria
• Must live in Chicago during the duration of AIR
• Agitator cannot accommodate materials that use solvents and require ventilation (oil paints, etc.)
• Some exhibition experience preferred, but not required
Applicants are required to meet the following expectations
• Minimum 10-15 studio hours per week
• Host open studio hours during openings that overlap with residency.
• Provide a 30-45 minute prepared public artist talk during solo exhibition
• Facilitate some social or civic engagement with community – i.e. Workshop, lecture – something participatory and / or educational.
• Attendance of monthly Agitator membership meetings held during the duration of the residency is optional but recommended.